Call for Papers
Social Media for Learning in Higher Education Conference 2016 (#SocMedHE16)
“The Empowered Learner?”
Friday 16th December 2016 at Sheffield Hallam University, UK
#SocMedHE16: The Empowered Learner? will build upon #SocMedHE15’s Finding our Social Identity theme where we established our common interest in developing our understanding of social media for learning in HE.
This year we ask questions: are we empowering students by adopting and adapting social, open, mobile and networked learning and media? How critically are we shaping the opportunity that is emerging? How sure are we that the social, open and networked space, with all of the autonomy it suggests, is good for our students?
The conference will reflect a variety of positions including the student view of empowerment, the academic and teaching view, and the perspectives of support staff and strategic managers. We are particularly keen to receive proposals from students, and have an incentive to encourage this.
Please refer to the conference site for further information about the theme and for a selection of indicative topics. At the site, you will also find presentations and clips from the hugely successful #SocMedHE15.
Proposals should be based on evidence and experience of academic, or strategic practice; in any of the following formats:
· Short papers
· Thunderstorm presentations
Please refer to the conference site for further information about the conference formats.
Accepted submissions will be eligible for writing up and inclusion in the #SocMedHE16 conference proceedings.
Accepted presenters will be encouraged to develop an artefact with creative commons licensing to accompany their submission, these will be made openly available during and beyond the event.
Submission deadline: Midday Monday 16th May 2016
· #SocMedHE16 takes place on Friday 16th December 2016 9am-4pm at Sheffield Hallam University
· Early Bird booking will open at the start of July 2016 at a price of £150 per delegate.
· A standard rate of £180 will apply from early October.
· Students benefit from an early bird rate of £80 (standard rate £100)
· 8 free of charge places will be available for students presenting Student View thunderstorms. More information
· There will be a pre-conference social event on the evening of 15th December charged at £40 per ticket.