The Centre for Inclusion and Collaborative Partnerships (CICP) is committed to undertaking and supporting research and scholarship activity around the theme of widening participation. Alongside the publication of our Journal ‘Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning’, we run a regular seminar series aiming to promote discussion, dialogue and debate about current issues relating to widening participation.
Our fourth seminar in the series is entitled: “First in Family”, and will take place on Friday 23rd October 2015, from 9.30am – 12 noon at the Open University’s Walton Hall campus, Milton Keynes. If you would like to attend, please contact us at: CICP-WP-Research-Seminars@open.ac.uk and further details will be provided.
Confirmed speakers include Dr Sarah O’Shea, University of Wollongong, Australia, Dr Margaret Henley, University of Auckland, and Professor Jacqueline Stevenson, Sheffield Institute of Education.
We will be examining issues such as:
· What are the motivations, expectations, barriers and needs for ‘first in family’ students?
· Which strategies are employed by ‘first in family’ students to navigate the university environment?
· How can HE institutions adapt their offer to maximise the chances of success for ‘first in family’ students?
· How is HE participation translated and understood by family members? What is the wider community impact of participation?
· Is there a risk of treating ‘first in family’ students as a homogenous group and/or adopting a ‘deficit model’?
Future seminar dates for your diary are as follows:
Monday 7th December, 9.30am – 12 noon at Walton Hall, Milton Keynes: seminar topic ‘Supporting Widening Participation through Open Educational Practices’
Friday 5th February 2016, 9.30am – 12 noon at Walton Hall, Milton Keynes: seminar topic ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’
Wednesday 15th June, 9 .30am – 12 noon at Walton Hall, Milton Keynes: seminar topic ‘HE in FE’
With best wishes,
Research, Information and Evaluation Officer Centre for Inclusion and Collaborative Partnerships Ground Floor Wilson B Block Walton Hall Milton Keynes
Tel: (01908) (6)54955
Please note, I am part-time and work Wednesday to Friday
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.