Surveys for Enhancement Conference 2012:
Call for Contributions
Thursday 17 May, 2012
The Higher Education Academy is hosting a one-day conference on 17 May 2012 at the National College for School Leadership, Nottingham.
Theme: Using student surveys to enhance the student learning experience
The conference will present research and practice on the use of student surveys for quality enhancement. Sessions will include invited speakers, parallel presentations and a panel discussion. The event will bring together a broad range of people interested in using student experience data to enhance policy, practice and institutional strategies, including senior management with strategic learning & teaching roles, educational developers and lecturers at the chalk face.
Contributions are sought for presentations and workshop sessions on any issue relating to the use of student survey data for quality enhancement. Possible topics include (but are not limited to):
- The role of the NSS in creating a student-centred enhancement culture
- Student involvement in the analysis, discussion or use of survey results
- Surveying the experience of taught postgraduates (e.g. PTES)
- Using qualitative data to drill down into quantitative survey results
- Using survey data (e.g. PRES) to enhance the research postgraduate experience
- Alternatives to student satisfaction surveys
· How students interpret questions in student surveys
- The experiences of diverse student groups, e.g. international students, part-time students, disabled students, etc.
· Balancing the goals of enhancement, quality assurance, informing prospective students and marketing
Please note that the session slots will each be 45 minutes in length. Proposals for both workshops and presentation sessions are invited.
To submit a proposal, please provide the following information:
- Type of session (Workshop/Presentation)
- Title of session
- Abstract (100 words max.)
- Outline (500 words max, not including references)
Proposals will be reviewed against the following criteria:
- Relevance to conference theme
- Applicability to other institutions/contexts within UK HE sector
- Audience engagement (this criterion will be double-weighted for workshop session proposals)
- Engagement with existing research literature (this criterion will be double-weighted for presentation session proposals)
- For presentation session proposals, we would expect at least 20 minutes of the 45 minute session to be reserved for discussion
- Laptops, projectors, flipcharts and pens will be available, please state any other requirements
Please submit your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 12 March 2012
Dr Alex Buckley
Academic Development Officer
The Higher Education Academy, Innovation Way, York Science Park, Heslington, York, YO10 5BR