About This Webinar
This webinar aims to help attendees:
- understand solution- focused coaching and the solution- focused approach;
- consider the key characteristics of using a solution- focused approach in the personal tutoring role;
- explore how solution talk and problem talk questions can impact student success;
- examine and demonstrate the use of frameworks (such as GROW, OSKAR and BATHE) for coaching conversations in tutoring interactions with students
- contemplate the role of success coaching in US Higher Education and it's potential relevance to the UK
About the Presenters
Dave Lochtie is a Board Member and the Deputy Chair of the professional development committee for UK Advising and Tutoring (UKAT) and the Student Voice and Development Manager at the Union of Students, University of Derby. He previously worked in the UK and US as a qualified teacher, governor, director and manager of personal tutoring, success coaching, administration and admissions and recently co-authored the book 'Effective Personal Tutoring in Higher Education'.
Ben W Walker is the Vice-Chair (Professional Development) for UKAT and a senior lecturer in academic development and doctoral researcher at Manchester Metropolitan University. He previously held various teaching, research and quality improvement roles. He is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and co-author of the highly regarded book 'Effective Personal Tutoring in Higher Education'. More information on his work can be found at www.benwwalker.co.uk
Jackie Leigh is a Reader in Teaching and Learning in the School of Health and Society at the University of Salford, and has a specific interest in coaching.